SC -

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Mar 25 00:22:59 PST 2000

Mordonna the Cook asked:
> Gwynydd_of_Culloden at freemail.com.au writes:
> <<
>  Personal cheques are often not really a useful alternative because cheques
> written out against my bank (the ANZ) are not easily presentable in other
> countries (I am in Australia).  Also, I am very nervous about sending a money
> order because it is the next best thing to real money and, as such, there are
> none of the safeguards which apply to cheques and credit cards.
>   >>

> How about Traveler's Checques?

But traveler's checks depend upon two signatures. You sign one immediately
upon buying them and a second time at the time of purchase in front of
the merchant. Then the two signatures can be compared.

I don't see how you could do this by mail. If you signed in both places
and then mailed it, it would be no more secure than a personal check.

Using a credit card really seems the way to go for this but unfortunately
this doesn't help Gwynydd. Gwynydd, perhaps you could work a deal with
someone there in Austrailia to put it on their credit card and then you
give them a personal check.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net