SC -

Gwynydd of Culloden Gwynydd_of_Culloden at freemail.com.au
Sat Mar 25 03:50:25 PST 2000

- ------------APFM25322520

How to explain a taste to someone who has never tried the thing?   Hmmmm - in the interests of research I have an opened jar beside me and am about to taste a (very little!) bit on my finger - so that the taste will not be obscured by bread ....  it is sort of "meaty" with a lot of salt and a touch of sweetness and a slightly bitter aftertaste.  Actually, it is nicer than I remembered!  Since I was pregnant with Jessie I have not eaten Vegemite and have preferred the taste of Promite (similar substance - slightly sweeter).  Marmite is another related product.  They are all yeast extracts for spreading on bread or using as a stock or (but this I can not imagine!) making into a hot drink.  "Tea, coffee, bonox anyone?"  If anyone out there ever buys it for the first time, do not be fooled as a Canadian friend of mine was when I was 14 into thinking that, because it is brown it must be a chocolate spread!  Very nasty stuff lathered on _that_ thickly *grin*.

Gwynydd

- ------------APFM25322520--