SC - Food Attitude

RichSCA at aol.com RichSCA at aol.com
Sat Mar 25 20:06:57 PST 2000

I've got to say that I agree with most (if not all) of your rant.

You also said: "Why should I compromise my dayboard to serve
 "high-water-content" foods under the assumption that all fighters are this
dumb? "

Where I have played it is:  "Make sure you have enough meat for the
fighters".  And it is "meat," not "protein" that is demanded.  Now, I am
married to a fighter and have a son and household that has many fighters.
Each fighter has different foods and "ways" of eating. Husband eats very
little before a tournament, a light lunch afterwards and wants a "decent"
supper.  Now the son wants a good-sized breakfast before he fights, a light
lunch and a large supper.  Another fighter doesn't eat at all before a
tournament, eats a huge lunch afterwards and picks at supper.  The Feast Cook
cannot please every single 250 bodies sitting at a feast.

As I have said on this List before, I raised a family that consisted of a
daughter that was vegetarian, a son with hypoglycemia and a (now ex-) spouse
with anorexia.  I learned from their doctors that, unless a person has an
extreme medical condition, what a person eats in one meal will NOT effect
their health.  Most fighters (and everyone else) need to be aware of what
they have eaten all week as well as on a specific day.  I think that our
feasts need to have a "balance" to them, but it should not be expected that
they contain the full RDA/RDV (Recommend Daily Allowance/Values) for every
person out there.

Rayne

<<
 I'm a wee bit behind on my e-mail (400 messages or so...) but...

 What I've faced lately hasn't been "the fighters won't like it", it's a
 couple of non-fighters who jump up and scream "that won't be GOOD FOR
 the fighters."  I'm trying to do a period dayboard this summer.  I
 wanted to make beef tarts, chicken tarts, veggie/cheese tarts and fruit
 tarts, pickles & pickled vegetables, eggs, pretzels or bread & butter.
 I keep getting arguments about things like "eggs will make the fighters
 stomach's upset."  I counter, "Ok, then they don't have to eat them.
 I'm providing plenty else."  This generally gets me a dirty look.  I
 gave in on the "fighters NEED fresh fruits and vegetables because of
 their water content".  But, I didn't give in on "fighters will have
 difficulty eating tarts.  Make everything finger food."

 Even at at "fighting event," fighters will make up only at most a third
 of the attendees, but people seem to want to cater to them, without even
 neccisarily knowing what they want - they cater to what they think
 fighters need.  These people assume they're all "dumb stick jocks," and
 therefore you must make only what is good for them, period or not,
 because they're not smart enough to drink enough water unless they're
 eating it in fruit or to eat pickles instead of eggs when they need
 salt.  The rest of the attendees who are there to experience something
 medieval be damned.  As far as I'm concerned, if some rare fighter is
 truely too dumb to drink water, it's his own fault, and he'll learn the
 hard way.  Why should I compromise my dayboard to serve
 "high-water-content" foods under the assumption that all fighters are
 this dumb?  Why should I serve only pickles and not eggs, because the
 fighters need pickles (and I am happy to provide those,) but they might
 also (or instead) eat the eggs and somebody thinks they're bad for them?

 Ok, I'm done ranting.

 Magdalena vnder Brugghe >>