SC - don't cringe too bad....

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Mar 25 21:26:29 PST 2000

Christine A Seelye-King wrote:

>         I'm telling you, every 'Southern' cooking restaurant I've ever been
> forced to eat in had the very kind of cornbread you're describing.  The
> only white cornbread I've seen down here is some I made myself.
>         Christianna

Well, you would know best what you've encountered. I can only go by
reports, including yours, which have varied greatly. The South is a big
place, too.

> > However, if you
> > do this in the Southern part of the country you've committed, according
> > to some, a fairly major sacrilege.

According to some, but not, perhaps, to you. I'm not trying to impose
culinary rules on a region of the country I haven't spent a lot of time
in; I'm merely reporting what I've been told, and I've already stated
that it probably has little to do with reality, it has to do with convictions.

I used the example earlier, I think (or maybe that was in an edited
draft, now deleted?) of New Englanders swearing up and down that clam
chowder consists of milk and/or cream, onions, butter, some kind of
starchy thickener, potatoes, clams with their liquor, and salt pork, and
that it has always been this way from the beginning of time, according
to a sort of Maine and Massachusetts Rheinheitsgebot that is part of the
genetic code of every New Englander. Never mind that the oldest written
clam chowder recipe I've been able to find was in the writings of
Melville, that the tomato-ey varieties were invented not in Manhattan,
but in Massachusetts and Rhode Island, where they are still in use
today, and that fish chowder is far more common, in bulk of recipes,
than clam chowder.

Evidently reality is not a welcome addition to a good self-righteous
rant ;  ) .

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy