SC - don't cringe too bad....

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Mar 27 10:16:31 PST 2000

> Sorry, i'm really NOT in a grumpy mood, i was just very disappointed
> with what i had at the Boston Market - i didn't expect gourmet, but i
> also didn't expect that reheated poultry flavor.
>
> Anahita
> just strongly stating yet another opinion

Something that disturbs me about the members of the list is the sometimes
oversmug attitude that pops up. There are a lot of feelings that if it isn't
homemade or by a tiny specialty shop then the food is junk and only the
uneducated American cretins would eat such swill.

The same attitude seems to be broadcasted to anyone who would dare
to use a cake mix instead of making it themselves. Or something to
that effect. I do agree that a lot of being a cook is learning how to make
things from scratch and avoiding much of what is offered on the market.
But the superior attitude the is often professed is what keeps some people
lurkers or even turns off many people who quickly unsubscribe.

I've viewed several threads happening right now and superior attitudes and
even arrogance have been poking through. Discussions are good. Recipes
and assistance are great. But degrading things, cutting down one regional
cuisine over another or even superior slamming of others who dare to not
do everything at home should be considered with caution.

On a few threads:

I feel that Boston Market does a good job. The chicken is moist and tasty,
the potatoes are real and so is the gravy as well as many other dishes. It's
not the best you can get but definately superior to many fast-food markets.
If you don't care for it that's well and good but to lambaste it could cause
hurt to someone who likes it but feels they would be considered a fool for
having such a bumpkin attitude.

The corn bread discussion hasn't been nasty and there has been some
wonderful information given. Personally I like both sweet and unsweet
cornbread. I don't care for having stuff in it but that is only my opinion and
that could change if I had some that I liked. But I don't consider people who
do like stuff in their cornbread to be culinary lessers.

We can do gentle ribbing of other cuisines than what we think is correct (like
the chili or bbq discussions) but beware of mudslinging.  I think they are all
wonderful.

When posting something, please watch your words or attitudes. If you write
something please think that you may be insulting or hurting one of the 80% of
this list who never post and that is usually because they feel they wouldn't
be worthy of contributing becuase they go to McDonalds or somesuch.

If you need an example please read just about anything Master Adamantius
posts. He has the perfect blend of information, opinion, and care that I would
hope all of us try to emulate.

This really isn't a chastisement directed at anyone, especially Anahita, but
her words reminded me that I need to remind us all that we are a group of
honorable people and courtesy dictates we remember all who view our words.

Thank you all for making the Cooks list so wonderful. I feel it is one of the
most open and courteous lists I've seen. Please let's keep things so.

Yours,

Gunthar
Evil List Administrator