SC - Book on Mongol Foods, Islamic Medicine (long)

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Mon Mar 27 16:01:27 PST 2000

In a message dated 3/27/2000 1:12:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
wandapease at bigfoot.com writes:

<< The book announced, I come to my second reason for this posting. I and
 my team (in this case Buell, Eugene N. Anderson, a young 4 star cook
 named Olav Hekala, and Fr. Sabban, the dean of French food historians,
 if we can talk her into it) will continue with food research, this time
 an annotated and fully introduced translation of the recipes section
 from a
 circa 1369 north Chinese popular encyclopedia. This book not only
 contains what seems to be the earliest recognizable Baklava (a
 Turkicized derivative from Mongolian Bakhlakh, "to wrap in layers," by
 the way)  recipe,  >>

If this recipe is already in translated form, could someone see if I could
get a copy?  One of the cooks in my shire is doing baklava for a feast in
May, and this recipe may make it the only documentable dish in the
feast....(She hasn't yet grasped the concept that cooking from a redacted
period recipe is no harder than using a modern cookbook, but I keep trying.
We are doing a feast together in the fall, and most of that one, at least,
will be period if I have my say.)

Brangwayna Morgan