SC - Feeding Fighters

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Mon Mar 27 19:01:14 PST 2000

Folks...the SCA is not a health club.  I doubt you would find very many
hearty medieval warriors taking the field grumbling "I hope that side of wild
boar I ate last night doesn't make my tummy grumbly" or "Do those eggs make
my hips look fat?"  I understand the concern that we don't want to slow our
fighters down on the field, or feed them foods that will dehydrate them or
make them sick.  But when do we stop playing nurse-maid to them, and start
letting them make their own decisions about what to eat, and what not to eat?
 Being a fighter, myself, I know what's good for me, and what is not.  I also
know what I like, and what I dislike.  And sometimes, just sometimes, I'll
eat something "not" good for me just before a battle.  This is not because I
am "living dangerously".  If I wanted to do that, I would run with scissors.
It's because I like to eat it, and sometimes this overpowers my better
judgement.  I am certainly not going to lambaste my host for offering me
something which might stick to my ribs a little too long, and drag me down on
the field.  On the contrary...I am going to thank my host very graciously for
giving me the opportunity to sample the wares they have spent all day
preparing. If I don't want it, I will say "thank you most humbly sir-or-lady,
but I must pass."  No harm, no foul.
In short (too late), Prepare whatever it is you desire to prepare.  Those who
enjoy the items you offer will eat them and thank you kindly.  Those who do
not will still thank you kindly (or, at least, they should).  And, if beer or
Mead happens to be offered on that dayboard, you may most certainly invite me
with no fear of repurcussion...

I truly hope I have not stepped on anyones toes, or hurt feelings with this
post.

Man cannot live on bread alone... he must have beer to soak it in.