SC - RE: SC German Spatzle

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 27 21:49:42 PST 2000

Thomas shared  this golden oldye:
on about ale (15th century):

"   Bryng vs in good ale, and bryng vs in good ale!
    ffore owr blyssyd lady sak, bryng vs in good ale!

Bryng vs in no browne bred, for (th)at is mad of brane;
Nor bryng vs in no whyt bred, fore (th)erin is no game;
But bryng vs in good ale!

Bryng vs in no befe, for (th)er is many bonys;
But bryng vs in good ale, for (th)at goth downe at onys;
And bryng vs in good ale!

Bryng vs in no bacon, for (th)at is passyng fate;
But bryng vs in god ale, and gyfe vs inough of (th)at,
and bryng vs in good ale!

Bryng vs in no mutton, for (th)at is ofte lene;
Nor bryng vs in no trypys, for (th)ei be syldom clene,
But bryng vs in good ale!

Bryng vs in no capon flesch, for (th)at is ofte der;
Nor bryng vs in no dokes flesch, for (th)ei slober in (th)e mer,
But bryng vs in good ale!

Bryng vs in no eggys, for (th)er ar many schelles;
But bryng vs in good ale, and gyfe vs no(th)ing ellys,
And bryng vs in good ale!"
(Source: Rolf Kaiser, Medieval English, Berlin 1961, p. 478)<<<<

You know, I almost found myself putting this verse to
an old Kingston Trio song:  The W.T.U. (Women's Temperence
Union) circa 1962 or so.  For those who might not remember,
here are a few verses I recall:

"We never eat cookies because they have yeast,
And one little bite turns a man to a beast.
We don't use tobacco because we do think,
That the people who use it are likely to drink!

"We never eat fruitcake because it has rum
and one little bite turns a man to a bum,
Can you imagine a sadder disgrace
Than a man in the gutter with crumbs on his face?

Away, away with rum, by gum,
With rum by gum, rum by gum.
Away, away with rum, by gum,
The song of the Temperance Union."

I wonder if the German song was as funny in
period as the WTU was to me in the sixties?

Akim Yaroslavich
"No glory comes without pain"