SC - Feeding Fighters

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Mon Mar 27 22:51:52 PST 2000

No matter where you are (or whom, for that matter) temperature/climate will
affect your appetite.  When it is exceedingly hot, the body does not crave
heavy, rich foods (though the brain may still.  If that sounds like a
contradiction, it may well be).  When it is cold, people tend to desire the
richer, more satisfying tidbits.  I don't know why this is, but it is.  Being
a professional Chef by trade, I have always noticed a marked difference in
peoples eating habits when the weather is extreme (one way or the other...hot
or cold).  We use weather forecasts to help plan menus, even. On blustery
winter days, we will sell more so-called "comfort foods" which tend to be
heavy and robust.  On hot summer days, we sell a boat-load of salads and
light, cold sandwiches.  So, environment does have an affect on appetite.
Fortunately, we live in the SCA, and are not governed by the physical rules
of the mundane world...right?

Man cannot live on bread alone... he must have beer to soak it in.