SC - Feeding Fighters

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue Mar 28 06:23:25 PST 2000

There's also the possibility of using a tapenade made of olives.  I found
something that looks, smells and tastes like a tapenade in A Taste of Ancient
Rome...a recipe by Cato, that one of my protege's redacted.  It's called
"Epityrum", and the recipe is:

Make Green, black or varicolored epityrum in this way. Pit the green, black or
varicolored olives.  Season them thus:  Chop them, and add oil, vinegar,
coriander, cumin, fennel, rue and mint.  Put them in a small jar, with oil on
top and they are ready to use.

It's really good, especially when eaten with cheese.  We made a flat bread
similar to foccacia (from the same source), and served a kind of soft cheese
spread (same source) and this olive paste.  People loved it!

Kiri