SC - Period Ingredients Master List

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Tue Mar 28 17:39:34 PST 2000

Wow!  A lot of diverse opinions on this one...That's great!  That's what I
love about these lists.

To explain:  I am a professional Chef in the mundane world, and while I know
a great deal about the cooking/preparation of a great many varied
ingredients, I do not necessarily know which of them would be considered
"period".  I do not own a large collection of period cookery books (nor do I
even have a great many web links to research from).  When I attempt to
prepare a period feast for my encampment or fighting unit (which is always
VERY lavish and extravagant), I am usually shooting blind as to whether the
ingredients are period.  Some are obvious, some are not.  Hence the term
"attempt".  I know my cooking "methods" are period (some things never
change), but not the ingredients.  And, being somewhat of a stickler for
detail when it comes to food, I would like to know that I am using items
which would have been available in our time period.  A list such as the one I
suggested would help me tremendously.  Cross referencing these ingredients by
 region would be even more so (if I ever decide to do a period meal from one
particular region, instead of a hodge podge like I do now).

Mind you, whether or not the ingredients were period, I have never had a
complaint from a hungry fighter or famished minstrel.  This is a credit to
the people I camp with...they are very forgiving if you offer them food.

Balthazar of Blackmoor.

Man cannot live on bread alone... he must have beer to soak it in.