SC - OOP - Resturant Talk

James F. Johnson seumas at mind.net
Tue Mar 28 18:12:22 PST 2000

RichSCA at aol.com wrote:

> And you  know, that it could just be...."I have to have it 'cause they don't
> have it at home" thingy.  When I lived in Europe I drove 2 1/2 hours to eat
> at a Kentucky Fried Chicken and drove to another country (Denmark) for a
> McDonald's.   :-)

I recall being in England in the late 60s/early 70s, when the only thing
approximating a hamburger came from a chain called Wimpy's (as in Popeye
and "I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today..")

Take you Maalox or Bromo-seltzer, and think British fast food
hamburger.....

> << Rayne,
>
>  Perhaps the quality of Jack in the Box is better the further west you go.
>  Here in NY, well, .....the cockroaches won't even eat there.  I think it is
>  the demense of thoroughly soused teens looking for a sponge to absorb the
>  booze (cleans out the system if you get my drift).
>
>  The quality of Taco Bell is slightly better - and we see more people eating
>  in them on the island.  Believe it or not, I will not eat in Micky D's in
>  some states - they just aren't up to the quality I am used to.  Of course,
>  we are speaking of 'fast food quality' not 'restaurant quality' here.  My
>  preference is still Japonica for sushi - if I have the $125 to spend for
>  dinner. sigh.

Mmmmm, okay, I'm way out west, 'bout two hours from the wet stuff. Jack
seems a little cleaner and more palatable than Taco Hell and Taco Slime.
And the advertising is a shade more well written and dryer in it's
humour. The one Jack here is in the bigger, more drug infested, gang
troubled city nearby. And I'd soon go into the Jack than the Taco
joints. About on par clean-wise the the BK and Mac's, with more variety
of menu than either. The staff seems more intelligent and with a work
ethic (older Hispanics mostly--love the irony).

Personally, if I'm going to get a burger, it's a Bleu Cheese Burger from
Goodtimes here locally. Or a Buffalo Burger from Ray's Drive-In near
campus.

Sorry, only in Ashland...:)

Seumas