SC - waste?

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Tue Mar 28 23:18:15 PST 2000

Hello!

I was glancing through Markham today, looking at a bread recipe, & came
across this line: "fold it in a cloth, and with your feet tread it a good
space together".  This reminded me to ask you - when the dough is folded,
kneaded, rolled out, or whatever, on a cloth (depending on the elasticity
of the dough) some tends to stick to the cloth.  (And if the cloth is left
for a few days unwashed it turns truly 'orrible, Bruce.) My question is,
what, if anything, was done with these 'leavings'?  Were they rinsed out,
or dried & beaten off, and used somehow?  Or were they wasted? Has anyone
come across a reference to this?

Regards,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
cindy at thousandeggs.com