SC - Re: OT: Naming - was ,Zabaglione

Nanna Rognvaldardottir nanna at idunn.is
Thu Mar 30 06:12:37 PST 2000

Adamantius wrote:

>But yes, some arm of the French government's drive to eliminate English
>terms from the French language, including terms like "e-mail", which
>they feel oughtta be called "courieur electronique" or some such, has
>made reference to a need to drive the English language from _their_
Internet.

Yes, well, we do this quite successfully in Iceland without feeling the need
to call it "our" Internet - Icelanders don´t say "e-mail", they say
"tölvupóstur", computer is "tölva", and so on. But then, we don´t use the
international terms for telephone, television or radio, either ...

And yes, we do have a list of approved baby names. So do the other Nordic
countries, I believe. But people will in the majority of cases get approval
for a name that isn´t on the list. We used to have a system that was very
much like the SCA naming rules, as I´ve understood them - if you could
document that the name you wanted had been used a number of times within a
given period, it was approved. Now it is much easier to get approval.

Nanna