SC - Re: OT: Naming

RichSCA at aol.com RichSCA at aol.com
Thu Mar 30 09:42:39 PST 2000

I find that I want to agree what somewhere this "name your kid whatever mess
you want" has gone to far in the States. I worked for the government in the
payroll department for years and saw a mess of mess.

I had a lady who's mother named her Placenta (because it sounded nice- she
had no idea what it meant) And I could go on and on with other terrible names.

BUT the one that interested me most was a man named Baby Boy "Smith".  (I'm
changing his real last name).  I had the opportunity to actually go to his
military unit and so I asked the Unit Clerk about the name.  Seems he was
born at home in Georgia and his parents had not yet picked out his name.  The
doctor just registered the boy's sex on the certificate of delivery - Baby
Boy.  When the time limit for registering his name ran out a certificate was
issued in the name "Baby Boy Smith" and the family just left it that way
(Why, I do not know -- maybe it would have cost something to correct it).  I
asked the Unit Clerk what name he goes by and he said bee (BB).  I remarked
that as an adult I would have changed it and that he must have had a terrible
time in school.  I was informed that he is a HUGE FARMHAND type-of -guy and
really kind and nice and that he never had any trouble at all.  Hmmmmmmm.

Rayne

In a message dated 3/30/00 8:58:42 AM Central Standard Time,