SC - Period Ingredients Master List WAAAAY LONG

Bethany Public Library betpulib at ptdprolog.net
Wed Mar 29 21:31:46 PST 2000

Howdy! Balthazar, wrote, in his inestimable style:

*This is getting out of hand.  I think that, as a Society, we need to have
*some ground rules established on what is considered "period", and what is
*not.  I have always assumed that, if it was used "anywhere" in the time
frame
*our Society is alleged to encompass (with obvious exceptions) then it was
*considered period.

To which I reply:
The problem, m'dear, is in the extrapolation. The original list someone
provided of suggestions for non-cooks to bring to gatherings for historical
accuracy, for example, has several things on it I wouldn't consider "period"
(let's all replace that word with something else, shall we, since it is so
wildly inaccurate when considering the time periods we cover). For instance,
if laser flavor is easily reproduced with celery in Early Roman Meals, does
that mean I can use celery and call it period, even if it was't  period
produce? Certainly laser leaves and celery chunks look different in your
dish, and probably won't taste completely identical.

Here's the crux of the matter: Each of us, individually, must learn to draw
the line somewhere. Somehow we must decide where we stand between
convenience & availability versus historical accuracy. You see, none of us
can say for certain exactly and precisely how a dish looked, tasted, smelled
and felt in a given historical context. Not even I am that old. We can only
guess. And, in some cases we can guess pretty darned closely IF we have the
means to do so. That's a mighty big IF.

For some folks it's a time issue. For others, it's a money issue. For still
others, it's an effort or inspirational issue. I know that for some recipes
I look at, I  can have a pretty good instinctual vision of what we get in
the end product, without having lifted a single spoon. I love days like
that, they are reasonably effortless. OTOH, for some recipes, I have to plod
along and do the homework. Sometimes homework takes years to complete.

For myself, I am one who straddles the line. I HAVE done a completely period
feast, from produce and cooking methods (open fire, no conveniences or
electric tools!) to instruments and pots. It was highly rewarding, though
exhausting as I didn't have the number of kitchen help a period kitchen
might employ.  I recommend that that everyone do it at least once in their
SCA cooking career, if they can manage. After all, cooking something in a
modern kitchen isn't quite the same as cooking something in a medieval
kitchen. Cooking eggs in an aluminum pot isn't exactly the same as cooking
them in cast iron. Technique might be everything! You won't know until you
cook it in the correct historical way! Just once, everyone should have the
experience of being as exactly historically correct as they can possibly
manage. It's a goal I think everyone should strive towards. It's easier to
strive for this goal at small gatherings, at places where the help is
unlimited, and in your own spare moments puttering around in the kitchen and
at the backyard barbecue.

OTOH, I have done the "close as we can manage while still using a campground
kitchen complete with industrial mixer and convection oven" feast on more
occasions than I care to remember, being a rather old Chicken. In this
instance, you see, you have a different job even if you don't recognize it
at the time: A Feast Manager is duty bound to provide the safest, lushest,
most historical meal he/she can provide with the funds available, while
simultaneously producing it in a timely manner for an incredible number of
diners, and to do it with lots of their own money in esoteric ingredients
thrown in (uncooked wine, for instance, if t you are determined to serve a
dish which calls for it), and to donate their time and the time of their
staff. Modern caterers consider us insane. Of course short cuts are going to
happen. It is up to each Chef to determine exactly what those short cuts are
going to entail. IMHO, the best short cuts are the ones invisible to the
diners. That's where I personally draw the line for feasts on most
occasions.

<<vast snippage?>>
* There are very few species of "anything" left these days which have
*not undergone vast genetic mutations over the years since our Society is
*supposed to have existed.

Somewhat true----slightly to greatly exaggerated in most cases.Again, it's a
case of where you, personally, draw the line. Think of cooking modern
Chinese dishes: If a dish calls for radishes, will you use the round red
American varieties, or will you hunt down the long white Chinese varieties?
Will you use Bok Choy or resort to Napa cabbage?

It's the same with historical varieties. Will you try to find Ramp
(rampion), or will you substitute the mammoth leeks we know today? The taste
is slightly different, but Ramp IS available in some more populated places
and could most likely be ordered into others. How far would you go? I'd bet
your answer lays in one of several directions:
A) How much money do you have for the feast?
B) How much time do you have to research this? How easy is it to research
(know your grocer personally)?
C)How much experience do you have at this, and do you have access to someone
to guide you, or a great collection of books and time to read them?

What you'll find, I believe, is that as time goes on you will care more and
more for the level of historical accuracy. Not what OTHERS perceive as
historical accuracy, but what you see as historical.  No one can be perfect.
We don't even know what perfect is. I believe that SCA cooks like to
challenge themselves a little more each time they do a signature feast---and
for some, every feast is a signature feast. I like to plan a signature feast
once every year or two. A Signature feast, for me, is one where there are no
historical limits, and I strive to be as perfectly period as time,
ingredients, and surroundings allow. I go all out, no holds barred. In
effect, I exhaust my self mentally, physically, intellectually and
intuitively. The rest of the time, I do my best with what I have and what I
know.

The end result of operating this way is that what I learn from operating
hyper-historically is unconsciously incorporated into the other feasts I
cook.   Don't get me wrong, you won't find cheese whiz at my feasts if they
aren't a signature meal. However, having learned how to make cheese, I now
have no trouble turning out fresh (green) cheese with herbs, a perfectly
historical dish prepared in an historical way, any time I want to do so for
a feast. I had to stretch myself to do so, but once learned, it stays in the
brain and allows me to draw upon that knowledge and expand it. I am no
longer intimidated, thinking of making fresh cheese in an historical manner,
and so it's simple for me. I think you'll find that with a little practice,
historical cooking with the correct ingredients and in a correct manner (as
far as we are able to determine) will also become simple for you. it's the
mental hurdles that are usually the highest.

*My feeling is thus:  If it existed, and was used for cooking during the
time
*of our "period", then it is period.  Period.  Don't throw out a recipe
simply
*because you can't find "Plums from the Tree of Woe", or "Milk produced by
*Athenian Cows".  Substitute!  And, if someone gets up and walks away from
*your buffet simply because the eggs weren't "coddled in the breasts of
three
*Vestile Virgins"...eat their share, and enjoy the evening without them.

Yes, most folks won't notice the difference. But some will. Those few are
the ones I really cook for, mostly because I am one of them. However, even
if I notice the difference, I'll be happy to enjoy any good food that comes
my way. Life's to short to pass up a good meal;)

 Let's not forget that what's period for ancient Rome wasn't period for
Viking-age Sweden, necessarily. That's all I ask you to consider

*Just my two cents worth.

*Balthazar of Blackmoor.

In for two pennies, in for a pound.
Aoife