SC - Period Ingredients Master List

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Mar 30 19:08:08 PST 2000

In a message dated 3/29/00 3:31:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
CBlackwill at aol.com writes:

<< blueberries >>

 : a variable moisture-loving No. American shrub (Vaccinium corymbosum) that
is the source of most cultivated blueberries; also: its fruit >

(Is there a European species that I am not aware of?)

<<cashews>>

a tropical American tree (Anacardium occidentale of the family Anacardiaceae,
the cashew family) grown for a phenolic oil and the edible kernel of its nut
and for a gum from its stem;>

I am aware of the term being used by the Portuguese as early as 1598 CE. Are
there earlier references to this nut? Or better yet it's actual use as food?
This is my favorite nut. :-)

Ras