SC - Garlic methods - OOP(?)

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Thu Mar 30 20:25:33 PST 2000

Somewhere I read (how's _that_ for documentation? but I do seem to
remember it being from a credible source) that those fighting the Roman
Army could smell them coming over the hill, and basically called them
'Garlic Breath'.  Egyptian laborers were paid with garlic, and swore
legal oathes on a clove of it.  I would say there is ample circumstantial
evidence that they were eating garlic all over that region.  That it was
too humble for Apicius, I have no trouble with at all.
Christianna

> Now, there are other Roman recipes which do call for garlic, but
> Apicius isn't an example of the wildly profligate use of garlic by the
> Romans...
>
> It may simply be one of those things that are generally
> undocumented, but still occurred. For example, people used to eat (I'm
talking about within the past 50 years, especially) and sometimes still
do, eat