SC - Getting people to eat period food

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Wed Mar 1 06:06:09 PST 2000

    A Frutti di Mar is just a generic term used to describe an antipasto
that's made with seafood (usually whatever was available in the market or
the guys brought home on the boats), and there is no 'recipe' per se. It's
more a matter of 'whatcha got'.
    A good Sicilian Frutti di Mar traditionally has ingredients that will
make most Americans power chunder on the spot. The octopus, squid, and conch
are usually cut into small, bite sized pieces, marinaded or pickled, and
things like mussels, clams, or oysters were steamed lightly, then added to
the mixture still in the shell. You can find frozen conch in most seafood
stores, even up north.
    Bistec Ajado is a traditional Cuban dish, with as many variants as
cooks. My method is thus:

(for 6 people)
4 lb roast (type really doesn't matter, cheap cuts are fine), sliced 3/4"
thick

marinade consisting of sour OJ (if you can find it, add lemon if you can't),
lime juice (key limes are better than persian limes, but go with what ya
got), finely chopped onions, olive oil, garlic to taste (heh, heh), a little
white vinegar, and some adobo spices

Marinade the slices for about 20 minutes, then pound them with a mallet to
about 1/4" thickness (told you cheap cuts would be OK, and it's a good
workout for squires), then marinade them some more. Overnight in the
refrigerator is good.

Slice up whatever vegetables you want to use as an accompaniment

Heat a little olive oil in a skillet, spice the slices with a bit more
adobo, and pan fry them over a high heat, just don't burn the oil.

Deglaze the pan with the marinade, toss in whatever veggies you want to
accompany the dish with for a real quick stir fry, and send it out fast, as
this will cool off in a hurry. Garnish with a little chopped cilantro and
freshly ground pepper.

    Sieggy