SC - Getting people to eat period food

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Wed Mar 1 10:50:09 PST 2000

> >     A good Sicilian Frutti di Mar traditionally has ingredients that
will
> > make most Americans power chunder on the spot. The octopus, squid, and
conch

> Are you claiming that "most Americans" will power chunder at the concept
> of eating those things (octopus, squid, or conch)?
>
> Stunned and horrified,
>
> /UlfR

    Hell, even being in the same room as those things!
     I did a 14 century High German feast for Art/Sci one year, and had to
make the Haas im Pfeffer out of chicken rather than rabbit (which I had a
cheap and plentiful source for) (not to mention lotsa bunny peels) because
everyone I talked to about it turned green at the idea of killing and eating
'Thumper'.
    As it was, I got a brace of rabbits, anyway, and did 'em up for the High
table. They were presented both, allowed to make a choice, and most of them
took the rabbit, which made me feel a lot better. Also, (he said with an
evil grin) I had the people I got the rabbits from save me a quart of blood,
so I could thicken the sauce properly. I didn't tell anyone about it until
the following day, after everyone had raved about the meal, and it had been
safely digested and converted to fertilizer. I then let the cat out of the
bag, and watching the shocked looks of incredulity pass over peoples faces
was a riot.
    Another Art/Sci, I was in the kitchen when one of the Laurels who were
judging the food entries came back and asked how I felt about organ meats. I
responded that I really preferred Wurlitzers, why? Seems that someone had
entered a spiced & pickled tongue, and none of the judges wanted to even get
near it. And since I hadn't gagged at the mention of this, would I mind
please tasting it and telling them how good it was? I did so, the judges
dutifully wrote down everything I said, then turned all sorts of interesting
colors when I said that it was great, and offered them a slice. Most
amusing.

    Sieggy