SC - Period pumpkin recipes

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Mar 1 13:21:15 PST 2000

At 1:29 PM -0800 3/1/00, lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

>Now zucchinis as we know them appear to be not-period, but are they
>related to Old World plants or are they derived from New World stock?

New World. I think c. pepo.

>Those long-necked pale-green Italian gourds in Tacuinum Sanitatis
>are really big. If i can find something like them at a local
>market...

Lageneria Sicereia (sp?) seems a likely guess for the old world
gourds. Still used in Chinese cooking, so you may well find them in a
Chinese grocery store. The problem is figuring out, among all the
gourd/melon/squash things in a big Chinese grocery store, which ones
are right.

It helps to know that c. pepo is yellow flowered and l. sicereia is
white flowered, so if there is someone at the store who speaks
english, and happens to know what the plants look like ...  .

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/