Urban Legend was SC - Highnesses

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Mar 1 19:53:26 PST 2000

> Gunthar Said:>
>
>  I don't think I've seen a single time when someone was taken
> > on the field and beaten as a challenge of honor. There has been
> > once or twice
> > when, during a tournament they were hit a little harder or deliberately in
> > a tender spot as a reminder of proper behavior but never an "armor up
> > varlet" sort of thing.
> >
> > Sounds more like SCA urban legend to me.

Loved your story Regina...

The only 'challenges' that I have personal knowledge (and involvement
in) were jokes and could hardly have been taken as anything but- A
certain Court Baron who was then the Kingdom Seneschal, and I, who was
then one of his Regionals, staged a mock duel at an event, complete with
a very loud 'argument' and the throwing of the gauntlet. It was very
stagey, very silly, especially when we immediately met on the field
with... whipped cream. We had a very fun 'duel' (I won!) and then had a
bathing party with fresh towels, shampoo, and hot water in my camp. A
good time was had by all, and Duchess Hlutwige laughed so hard she fell
off of her perch on the picnic bench...

But Wait! That's not all! My then-champion, who had not been in
attendance at this event, issued a challenge to Baron Gwilym, for the
'assault' on me (Gwilym had sorta, kinda 'cheated', which had been part
of the joke), and they arranged a round of judicial combat at a later
event- one I was autocratting. My then Master, who was the sponsoring
Baron, decided the terms for these two clowns, er, gentles. Maces, no
shields, to first 'blood'- no killing. Boff*boff*boff*, and opps- Gwilym
instinctively raised his shield arm to block, got whacked, and it was
over. As wounds were being 'retained' that day, he could no longer use
that arm, as well as losing the duel. I was avenged, and he made a show
of an apology, which got points from the ladies gallery...

My point being- duels, challenges, etc., are only really ok if they are
fun- and only if they are fun to all parties, and if everyone knows they
are only fun. otherwise we run the risk of bad blood and much
unhappiness.

If someone has a SERIOUS problem with another Society member, there is
already a very useful mechanism for dealing with it. It is called
'Grievance proceedure', it is published in Corpora and in many Kingdoms
is an addendum to the Kingdom Law. It is clear, concise, AND IT WORKS. I
suggest we remember it.

'Lainie
(who can provide more details of the whipped-cream 'duel' off-list...)