SC - Perspectives on Recipe Adaptation (was: ALCOHOL IN FOOD)

B. M. Crumb kerelsen at ptd.net
Thu Mar 2 03:51:23 PST 2000

Gentles,

It appears that the intent of my question in my original post was
lost due to poor wording on my part.  I should know better than
to try to formulate my thoughts late at night while under the
thrall of Benadryl and Motrin and a severe adverse reaction to an
innoculation.

THE FOLLOWING IS MY PERSPECTIVE ONLY.  I will try to get across
what I meant to get across last night.

In the past, when I have informed a Cook prior to a feast of my
mushroom allergy, in general, I receive a cheerful, "Okay, I'll
keep that in mind and make sure you don't have any mushroom
contaminated food served to you."  No problem, it's a medical
issue.

Yet, when I request that food be available with no added alcohol
because of my religious beliefs, or that they adapt a portion of
the preparation with no added wine, beer or spirits, my request
is treated as if it were spurious and ridiculous, apparently
because there is no medical grounds for it--because it it
"merely" on religious grounds.

I do know that there are many period recipes that do not require
alcohol in preparation. I have enjoyed cooking from them in my
home many times.  But I have had many experiences in the past at
feasts where, apparently, the cook did not have access to such
recipes, or desire to make them a part of their feast.

I suppose what I am asking is, just because my food restriction
is based upon religion instead of medical necessity, should I
expect to just bring my own food prepared at home and not bother
to request the Kitchen Steward or Head Cook take my dietary
restriction into account?  I'm not asking for them to do a
complete non-alcoholic feast (although I think that it would make
an interesting experiment to do so some day), just that my
religious requirements be taken into consideration as seriously
as my medical ones.

I have often felt "cold shouldered" at a lot of events, usually
because I have family responsibilities that preclude me from
being very active in the dancing and other activities that
unencumbered adults may do there.  The feasts are really my only
area where I can feel I really am part of the group.  My
handicapped sons' (yes, I have two children with disabilities
that require extra supervision and attention) requirements mean
that I can't work in the kitchen as I'd really like to--and are
the reason that I have not attended an SCA event in the past two
years.  I want to try to get active again now that their problems
are reaching a point that we can cope with them in public.  But,
if I have to bring my own food (period or not) and eat off board
(assuming the Autocrat has allowed for that in his or her hall
planning) I feel I am being excluded once again from the
community of the SCA.

I apologize to Mordana for hurting her feelings with my previous
post.  If my questions and commentary and concerns are no longer
desired in this online community, let me know and I will
unsubscribe and not bother you with them anymore.

Tired of feeling like nothing she does is right,
Bernadette Crumb