SC - Scungilli versus conch

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Mar 2 04:06:44 PST 2000

Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 22:12:58 EST
From: LrdRas at aol.com
Subject: SC - Conch

stefan at texas.net
writes:

> Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 22:12:58 EST
> From: LrdRas at aol.com
> Subject: SC - Conch
>
> In a message dated 3/1/00 2:23:34 AM Eastern Standard Time, stefan at texas.net
> writes:
>
> << And where do you get
>  conch? >>
>
> I am unaware of any period recipes using conch but would love to see them if
> they are. Scungilli is one of my favorite Italian foods. Conch (i.e.,
> Scungilli) is available canned in some supermarkets or can often be found
> fresh or canned in groceries that cater to Italians.
>
> Ras

I'd been meaning to mention this... scungilli are actually knobbed
whelks, not conch(s?)(es?). Conch(plural) have a shinier, more rounded
shell, without siphon protuberances, while whelks tend to be more angular.

Culinarily, the meat of conches seems to be significantly sweeter and
crunchier than that of true scungulli, which, apart from a powerful,
almost musky ocean flavor, just taste, pretty much, like protein. And
like snails, which stands to reason.

Conch in fresh, frozen, and canned form, seems to be becoming more
popular worldwide in Asian communities as abalone become more scarce.

Scungilli, BTW, i.e. knobbed whelks, usually parboiled and shelled, can
probably be ordered frozen by most fish markets. Canned scungilli is
actually a surprisingly good product if you like that sort of thing, but
it tends to be fairly expensive for what you get (Cans contain lots of
liquid, in my experience). It isn't bad used in some of the European
medieval whelk presentations, but I don't care for seafood to be pounded
in a mortar, as a rule, especially something with as lovely a texture as
scungilli. And, much as I love period food, I think pureeing an oyster
is probably justifiably punishable by death.

Must be my MODERN PALATE showing...

<whups...>

Adamantius
- --