SC - Treacle Pie

Thu Mar 2 12:06:14 PST 2000

> Hmm...since treacle, from what I remember, is a byproduct of cane sugar
> refinement I would place it as out of period...
>
> Cadoc

Why?  Cane sugar has been refined since around 500 CE.  Treacle is the
molasses produced during refining.  It was certainly known in those regions
of Europe which grew sugar cane in period.  The cost of shipping molasses as
compared to shipping sugar and the ROI, would suggest that treacle might not
have been readily available until late in period.

Bear