SC - Allergies in general

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Thu Mar 2 17:37:22 PST 2000

'Lainie asked:

>Can someone from Iceland go somewhere else and continue to be so
>healthy? Or do things change when you leave?

Not that I know, although I don´t think any study has ever been done on
this. And we are not really that healthy, I think. We have allergies, even;
just not many food allergies. I, for instance, have a mild pollen allergy
and a severe allergy to some chemicals used in hairdressing salons.

The only health study I can recall that has compared Icelanders and
descentants of emigrants dealt with winter depression, which Icelanders are
much, much less suspectible to than others (which is just as well, as we
have 4 hours of daylight at the darkest time of year). Canadians of
Icelandic descent turned out to have inherited this trait to a great extent.

Nanna