SC - Religious dietary restrictions

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 2 23:25:21 PST 2000

Ras wrote:
>In a message dated 3/2/00 12:25:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>jallen at multipro.com writes:
>
><< YES!  I'd much rather have eaten the majority of the dogs I've met than be
>  begged from, jumped on, stared at, and slobbered on by them.>>
>
>I have recipes as do my Philippine friends......

And my Batak ex-relatives. There was even a restaurant in Jakarta run
by Bataks that served dog. I went with my ex-husband, but i ordered
pork. I knew what the dogs were eating and it was worse than what the
pigs were eating. He got sick afterwards, but i don't think it was
because it was dog. Probably just the lack of refrigeration.

I know they've been eating dog for centuries, but i have no
documentation for the recipe.

>   <<  I can hear someone asking "Would you eat  a cat?"  >>
>
>Recipes for these are also available and at least one is 'period.'

I would think cat meat would taste, well, a bit strong. But then,
i've never eaten one. But there are other uses for them. When i lived
in France, i saw a lovely bed cover displayed in a shop window made
entirely of marmalade cat skins. It was really beautiful. Must have
been at least 20 skins, maybe more.

Anahita,
who has had only cats for pets