SC - Re: Wheat Berries

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Fri Mar 3 16:38:58 PST 2000

owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:

<< Does anyone have any experience or suggestions regarding using hard
 wheat or soft wheat berries for frumenty (versus cracked wheat, bulgur
 wheat, or barley)? The question was raised last year by Chimene (but I
 wasn't here then), but I couldn't find an answer to it in Stefan's
 Florilegium (yes, I actually checked first, thus depriving Stefan of the
 opportunity to suggest....)

 Seumas >>

I have cooked barley and wheat berries together in a frumenty. The wheat
needs to be soaked overnight to soften. The difference between hard and soft
berries did not seem to be significant in the end result. I believe it "MAY"
be a difference in when or where they are grown. Something about one grown in
Alberta or Saskatchewan the other in Ontario????? This could be way off, but
that's my immediate recollection.

I'm working on the recipe for Clancy Day incorporating the above. I'll post
it when it's ready.

Hauviette