SC - food seasons

Magdalena magdlena at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 5 09:26:32 PST 2000

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Magdalena posted:
> > Herbs and Roots, To Boil or To Butter
> > 1.   Beanes, set in winter.
>
> Thank you Magdalena for posting this useful information. We have only talked
> a little about what was in season when and my file on this is still rather
> small. If anyone else has similar lists, preferably from period sources, I'd
> love to see it. And include it in the Florilegium. :-)

Stefan,

    My interpretation of this is a listing of when to plant the vegetables, rather
than when to reap them.  In season implies when vegetables are ripe to me.  Tusser
is essentially an early farmers almanac with verses for each month of the year, plus
a section on a housewife's day and a set of tables at the back, of which I had
listed one.

- -Magdalena