SC - Allergies in general OT OOP

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Mar 5 22:46:24 PST 2000

Jehanne said about her milk allergies:
> I watch what I eat carefully, and keep myself below the danger line. My BF
> watches out for me too, and asks me if I've had any milk today when I
> realize that the restraunt has Tiramisu for dessert. He especially watches
> out for me if I reach the "lightheaded" stage... I act pretty much as if I
> was someone who was a "giddy drunk" even though I haven't had a drop of
> alcohol. :P

Interesting. This description sounds much like the symptoms when my
injected insulin level is too high for the amount of food I've eaten,
leading to low blood sugar. I wonder if there is a connection on the
bio-chemical/hormonal level? Adrenaline perhaps?

> Between my own battles with milk, and a drug allergy doing my sister
> permenant harm, I treat all allergies with healthy respect.

My condolances to both you and your sister.

Unfortunately, the risk of a drug allergy is an example of the dark side
of
modern medicine. For me, the other side of the story is that I would have
been dead at least three times in my life without the availability and the
continuing availability of modern medicine. (Premature birth, heart surgery,
diabetes).

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net