SC - Starter Recipes

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Mon Mar 6 08:58:11 PST 2000

Christianna skrev:

>I can't believe you can say that about Emeril, the biggest impression I
>have about him is that he's over-bearing and condescending.  I just can't
>stand his personality for very long, I have never willingly sat through
>an entire episode of one of his shows.  (It has been on in the other room
>while I'm typing away at the computer, so I've listened to them, and I
>don't like him a bit.) Not to mention, he has a staff of dozens that do
>most of the work for him, but at least you see them (unlike MS). <

You may not have been watching him closely enough, then. He's out there
having fun, playing the audience, and he does a very good job of thanking
his support staff for their support, whether they're musicians, pre-cooks,
research staff, or camera tech types.

As far as the pre-prep and fun goes, you must have missed the one with the
kids, where he screwed up the candy mix he was going to pour over the
candied popcorn because he was chatting with the kids, couldn't find
anything else to put on the popcorn, then shrugged his shoulders and poured
the chocolate from a previous dish over the popcorn. That's partly why he
sorta reminds me of A- got in a pinch, said
OK, this'll work, and went on about his business.

Yeah, he's kinda bombastic, but he's great fun, and while he'll mention
whatever his latest Cookbook is on a couple of shows, he doesn't advertise
it on EVERY show, like some of the various Cooks do.

>As far as basic cooking goes, I think Sarah Moulton's shows (Cooking Live
and
>Cooking Primetime) are better at covering the bases, even though Puck
>can't stand her, either.  To each his own, I guess, and I learned a long
time ago that >everyone has something to teach, even if it's how NOT to do
something.

Actually, Sara strikes me as being a very nice person who is basicly
clueless. She's certainly willing to help, but I often wonder how much help
she really is..... I've seen more useful information arrive from some of her
call-ins than I have from her, herself.....

But, as you say, to each their own....

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

"Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

"It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
Boswell

"And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous