SC - Allergies in general

Lurking Girl tori at panix.com
Mon Mar 6 09:23:22 PST 2000

helen wrote:
>     I agree that there are many people alive today, having offspring
> that would have died due to allergies if they had lived in the past.
> My best friend in high school, total believed, if he had be born 200
> years ago, he would not have made it to adulthood, due to his severe
> allergies (now that I think about it, now he is a computer
> D.B.A. hmm.....)

My poor Beloved Husband (a programmer-turned-security-geek) falls in
that class, too.  Extremely poor vision, fair skin that sunburns in
fifteen minutes flat, allergic to dust, cats, and pollen at least;
never tested for other stuff, but he has bad reactions to onions and
scallops.  He gets colds and flus incredibly easily, and takes longer
to shake off the lingering effects thereof.

I told him any kids we have should be okay, since my genes can beat up
his genes...

>     My college room mate had many food allergies.  As a child she
> could only eat chicken, rice and corn.  Now as an adult she is
> mainly allergic to Chicken, rice and corn.  Her Doctor said you
> should get your allergies retested every 7 years.  So, maybe one day
> 'Lainie could eat her beloved avocados.

...and, in fact, he has become mostly desensitized to _our_ cats.  Even
though they both sleep on the pillows with us.

Vika
insanely healthy except for very weak lungs,
for which I blame two chain-smoking parents