SC - question after recipe

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sun Mar 5 20:31:20 PST 2000

At 7:48 PM -0500 3/5/00, Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:
>  >From  A BOKE OF GODE COKERY
>
>HERB CORDIAL
>
>1/4 cup honey
>1 cup sugar
>1/2 cup water
>1/4 tsp. caraway seeds
>1/2 tsp. whole cloves
>2 sticks of cinnamon
>2 1/2 cups 100-proof vodka
>1 whole nutmeg, broken
>7 cardamom pods, crushed
>3 whole allspice
>peel of 1/2 lemon
>peel of 1/2 orange
>1/2 vanilla bean, broken
>Simmer all but vodka for 15 minutes. Cool. Pour into glass container along
>with vodka. Let stand 3 weeks. Strain through cheese cloth and leave until
>clear.
>
>QUESTION;  What can I use in place of the vodka.  I don't want this to be
>alcoholic.  Also, was vodka period? P Seton

Vodka made from potatoes is almost certainly not period; I have no
reason to believe that any vodka is period, but don't know. In any
case, allspice and vanilla are from the new world.

Note that this is from a section of the BOKE that says:

- ---
WARNING! These recipes are not true Medieval dishes. They do not come
from true Medieval sources, nor can they be documented as being
Medieval in any way. BUT! They are very Medieval in style,
ingredients, and flavour, and for those cooks not ready to begin true
Medieval cooking, these recipes may be the way to begin. They are
ideal for dinners where authenticity is not a concern, or for guests
who aren't quite adventurous enough for the real thing. They ARE NOT
recommended for recreated feasts where truly authentic, documented
dishes should be used.
- ---
While I disagree with Master Huen about the usefulness of posting
such recipes--there are, after all, lots of real medieval recipes
that unadventurous guests will like, and even with such an explicit
warning posting out of period recipes on a web site devoted to
medieval cooking is likely to lead to confusion--I must commend him
on his honest and explicit statement. There is no good reason to
believe that any of the recipes in that section are period, and in
some cases, such as this, there is good reason to believe that they
are not.

Along similar lines, Arian just posted

>I just posted a peach cordial recipe that I had worked on w/ Murkial.
>It's on my web page: http://www.nmia.com/~ariann/
>
>1 - If you are doing this for A&S, allspice and vanilla are new world

If you are not doing it for A&S, allspice and vanilla are still New World.

I realize that what Arian actually meant was "if you are doing this
for A&S, you will want to know that allspice and vanilla are New
World." But the implication of that is that we should only care about
what is or is not historically correct when we are entering contests,
which doesn't seem to me to make much sense. It reminds me of the man
who said that he played golf to keep fit. When asked what he was
keeping fit for, he answered "golf."

If knowing what is historically correct, and trying to do medieval
things, really doesn't matter in the SCA outside of contests, then
what is the point of having contests to see who can do it well?

Or in other words, I am afraid you pushed one of my buttons--the one
marked "arts contests as a way of discouraging the arts."

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/