SC - Chicory in coffee - OOT

Elysant at aol.com Elysant at aol.com
Mon Mar 6 16:43:54 PST 2000

- -Poster: <Elysant at aol.com>

>"James F. Johnson" wrote:
>>  > The Continental French put chicory in their ground coffee as an extender
>>>  (IIRC, during WWII shortages). I was never sure if Louisiana developed
>>>  that independently, or got it from the French. I put chicory in my
>>  > coffee at home. Gives it a nice bite, as well. Sometimes cardamom.

In Britain the way I remember chickory in coffee was in one or two instant
coffee products available over there.  One was a Nescafe product if I
remember rightly, and the other was "Camp Coffee" - which was a bottled
coffee syrup.   As I recall it, "Camp Coffee" was the kind of "cheap" item
kept in the back of a kitchen cupboard in the homes of tea drinkers so they
could dose it out when coffee loving visitors came to call.  My great aunt
always served it to us.  It was not even on the same par as instant coffee
granules, but I always thought it tasted different and quite pleasant with
the chickory added.

Elysant