SC - cherry tarts & A tarte to provoke courage

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Mar 6 23:18:48 PST 2000

Thomas said:
> In case that these recipes were mentioned before, please enjoy this one
> (found it in the neighborhood of the cherry tart recipes and was
> reminded of digest #1955...). There is also a "tarte of Medlers".
>
> "A Tarte to provoke courage either in man or Woman.
>
> Take a quart of good wine, and boyle therein two Burre
> rootes scraped cleane, two good Quinces, and a Potaton
> roote well pared and an ounce of Dates, and when all
> these are boyled verie tender, let them be drawne throgh
> a strainer wine and al, and then put in the yolks of
> eight Egs, and the braines of three or foure cocke
> Sparrowes, and straine them into the other, and a litle
> Rosewater, and seeth them all with Sugar, Synamon and
> Ginger, and cloves and Mace, and put in a litle Sweet
> Butter, and set it upon a chafingdish of coales betweene
> two platters, and so let it boyle till it be something
> big." (p. 39)

My first thought is that rather than provoking courage, anyone
who drinks(?) this knowing what is in it already has courage. :-)
Sparrow brains????

What are "Burre" roots? And what is a "Potaton" root? Sweet potato?
Since I don't believe Thomas gave the source, although I assume
this is late period, I'm not sure.

What is the final dish? A beverage or a thick cream-like thing?
A caudle perhaps? "let it boil till it be something big"???
Would this froth up?

Somehow, I don't think this would be a good recipe to serve
HRH Trimaris. :-)
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net