SC - cherry tarts & A Tarte to provoke courage

Bethany Public Library betpulib at ptdprolog.net
Mon Mar 6 21:03:19 PST 2000

- ------=_NextPart_000_001F_01BF87C8.8BB0EC20

Stefan, quoting Thomas, and then commenting himself on the subject, =
penned the following:

>Thomas said:

>> "A Tarte to provoke courage either in man or Woman.
>>=20
> >Take a quart of good wine, and boyle therein two Burre
> >rootes scraped cleane, two good Quinces, and a Potaton
>> roote well pared and an ounce of Dates, and when all
>> these are boyled verie tender, let them be drawne throgh
>> a strainer wine and al, and then put in the yolks of
>> eight Egs, and the braines of three or foure cocke
>> Sparrowes, and straine them into the other, and a litle
>> Rosewater, and seeth them all with Sugar, Synamon and
>> Ginger, and cloves and Mace, and put in a litle Sweet
>> Butter, and set it upon a chafingdish of coales betweene
>> two platters, and so let it boyle till it be something
>> big." (p. 39)

>My first thought is that rather than provoking courage, anyone
>who drinks(?) this knowing what is in it already has courage. :-)
>Sparrow brains????
The brain are for a particular consistency, their delicate flavor being =
absorbed completely by the strongly falvored fruits in the dish. Along =
with the eggs, what you'll get with the inclusion of these ingredients =
is a nice jiggly fruit custard-type dish.Fruit Flan, in a pie shell, =
anyone?

>What are "Burre" roots? And what is a "Potaton" root? Sweet potato?
>Since I don't believe Thomas gave the source, although I assume
>this is late period, I'm not sure.
Borage, or burrage, is burre root. Potaton is exactly what you think it =
is. Potato. Obviously a late period recipe, perhaps from Huswife's Jewel =
or maybe Martha?

>What is the final dish? A beverage or a thick cream-like thing?
>A caudle perhaps? "let it boil till it be something big"???
>Would this froth up?
To suss this out, you need to go back to the begining and read the whole =
thing, title and all. A Tarte is what it is called, so you'd get an =
openfaced pie. The cook assumed anyone could prepare a pie shell and =
slip the contents into it, so that bit was left out of the directions. =
It would end up being a tan/brownish colored custardy pie, without the =
benefit of milk products. The potato is there to give it substance and =
bulk. The wine helps degrade the organic materials while still =
preserving all of their flavor. All in all, I'd guess your guests would =
love this dish *if* you failed to impart the news that it contained bird =
brains. And if I had to cook it without the benefit of fowl's cranial =
contents, I would simply add more eggs, being careful to stir constantly =
over a chafing dish, and not too cook it too much. Not quite as =
gelatinous as it would be with the brains, but I'd bet very tasty none =
the less. Reminds me a bit of what you'd find in Sabrina Welserin's =
(sp?) book, which is online somewhere. URL, anyone?

>Somehow, I don't think this would be a good recipe to serve
>HRH Trimaris. :-)

But no, it would. Do they like apple pie? Pear Tarte? Dried fruits? They =
will love this, then. And, a nice little booklet with the feast recipes =
layed out and offered discreetly would do the trick if left casually on =
a side-table. That's where the really appreciative amongst us know to go =
to , in order to find the best of the cooking recipes of all our =
gustatorially gifted friends:).  The rest of the culinary barbarians =
only care that it tastes good, right?

Hugs

Aoife

- ------=_NextPart_000_001F_01BF87C8.8BB0EC20

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000><FONT size=3D3>Stefan, quoting Thomas, and =
then=20
commenting himself on the subject, penned the =
following:</FONT></FONT><FONT=20
size=3D3></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3><BR>>Thomas said:<BR><BR>>> "A Tarte =
to provoke=20
courage either in man or Woman.<BR>>> <BR>> >Take a quart of =
good=20
wine, and boyle therein two Burre<BR>> >rootes scraped cleane, two =
good=20
Quinces, and a Potaton<BR>>> roote well pared and an ounce of =
Dates, and=20
when all<BR>>> these are boyled verie tender, let them be drawne=20
throgh<BR>>> a strainer wine and al, and then put in the yolks=20
of<BR>>> eight Egs, and the braines of three or foure =
cocke<BR>>>=20
Sparrowes, and straine them into the other, and a litle<BR>>> =
Rosewater,=20
and seeth them all with Sugar, Synamon and<BR>>> Ginger, and =
cloves and=20
Mace, and put in a litle Sweet<BR>>> Butter, and set it upon a =
chafingdish=20
of coales betweene<BR>>> two platters, and so let it boyle till it =
be=20
something<BR>>> big." (p. 39)<BR><BR>>My first thought is =
that=20
rather than provoking courage, anyone<BR>>who drinks(?) this knowing =
what is=20
in it already has courage. :-)<BR>>Sparrow brains????</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3><FONT color=3D#000000>The brain are for a particular =

consistency, their delicate flavor being absorbed completely by the =
strongly=20
falvored fruits in the dish. Along with the eggs, what you'll get with =
the=20
inclusion of these ingredients is a nice jiggly fruit custard-type =
dish.Fruit=20
Flan, in a pie shell, anyone?</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3><BR>>What are "Burre" roots? And what =
is a=20
"Potaton" root? Sweet potato?<BR>>Since I don't believe =
Thomas gave=20
the source, although I assume<BR>>this is late period, I'm not=20
sure.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3><FONT color=3D#000000>Borage, or burrage, is burre =
root. Potaton=20
is exactly what you think it is. Potato. Obviously a late period recipe, =
perhaps=20
from Huswife's Jewel or maybe Martha?</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3><BR>>What is the final dish? A beverage or a =
thick=20
cream-like thing?<BR>>A caudle perhaps? "let it boil till it be=20
something big"???<BR>>Would this froth up?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3><FONT color=3D#000000>To suss this out, you need to =
the begining and read the whole thing, title and all. A Tarte is what it =
is=20
called, so you'd get an openfaced pie. The cook assumed anyone could =
prepare a=20
pie shell and slip the contents into it, so that bit was left out of the =

directions. It would end up being a tan/brownish colored custardy pie, =
without=20
the benefit of milk products. The potato is there to give it substance =
and bulk.=20
The wine helps degrade the organic materials while still preserving all =
of their=20
flavor. All in all, I'd guess your guests would love this dish *if* you =
failed=20
to impart the news that it contained bird brains. And if I had to cook =
it=20
without the benefit of fowl's cranial contents, I would simply add more =
eggs,=20
being careful to stir constantly over a chafing dish, and not too cook =
it too=20
much. Not quite as gelatinous as it would be with the brains, but I'd =
bet very=20
tasty none the less. Reminds me a bit of what you'd find in Sabrina =
Welserin's=20
(sp?) book, which is online somewhere. URL, anyone?</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3><BR>>Somehow, I don't think this would be a good =
recipe to=20
serve<BR>>HRH Trimaris. :-)<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>But no, it would. Do they like apple pie? Pear =
Tarte? Dried=20
fruits? They will love this, then. And, a nice little booklet with the =
feast=20
recipes layed out and offered discreetly would do the trick if left =
casually on=20
a side-table. That's where the really appreciative amongst us know to go =
to , in=20
order to find the best of the cooking recipes of all our gustatorially =
gifted=20
friends:).  The rest of the culinary barbarians only care that it =
tastes=20
good, right?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>Hugs</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>Aoife</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_001F_01BF87C8.8BB0EC20--