SC - Re: aqua vitae

Angie Malone alm4 at cornell.edu
Tue Mar 7 14:27:05 PST 2000

At 05:17 PM 3/7/00 -0500, you wrote:

>Ras, does anybody import marc brandy into the U.S.? This is a French
>product distilled not from wine, but from wine lees, IIRC, then sold
>pretty much raw. Grappa might be another option, being the Italian
>equivalent. That, I'm pretty sure, is widely available in the U.S.
>
>Adamantius
>--
>Phil & Susan Troy
>
>troy at asan.com

Yes, Grappa is available in most every liquor store, only not very
inexpensive.  Even the lower proof, (around 80 proof) is still fairly
expensive, only not as expensive as the 100 proof.  These prices are in
Central NY, your prices may vary.  For the curious, grappa is distilled
from the grape squeezings left over after the grapes have been squeezed for
wine.

I have heard that grappa is generally an after dinner drink, sometimes
chilled.  I don't know if that is true or not.  I myself enjoy another
after dinner drink, espresso with a shot of anisette.

	Angeline