SC - Chicken in Milk & Honey FOR LAURENE

HICKS, MELISSA HICKS_M at casa.gov.au
Tue Mar 7 18:51:23 PST 2000

Laurene,

> I kinda-sorta redacted this recipe last night.  I didn't look at it close
> enough when I first started out though, because it turned out that I did
> NOT have more than half the spices it called for.  And even so, it still
> is
> not the same as the Chicken in Milk and Honey we had at the Revel.  I'll
> have to keep trying.  This DID however turn out to be a very good dish!
> Even my kids ate it!

Do you have a copy of "To the Kings Taste" by Lorna Sass?  It contains a
redaction of Douce Ame that some cooks (who aren't comfortable with
redacting their own recipes) use.  I used it until I got up enough courage
(hmm - maybe I should have changed that word, oh well) to redact it myself.

It is as follows: Please note, I am not saying this is a good redaction,
only that as it is in a published source, it is a redaction that may have
been used if your cook wasn't confident (much better word) at redacting.

	Meliora.

Douce ame (Capon in milk and honey)
Douce Ame. Take gode cowe mylke and do it in a pot. Take parsel, sawge,
ysope, savray and other gode herbes. Hewe hem and do hem in the mylke and
seeth hem. Take capons hald yrosted and smyte hem on pecys and do thereto
pynes and hony clarified. Salt it and color it with saffron and serve it
forth. Forme of Cury

3-4 lb capon (or chicken) cut into pieces
½ cup flour mixed with a little salt and pepper
3 Tbsp oil
3 cups milk
1/3 cup honey
3 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
2 leaves fresh sage (minced) or ¼ teas dried
1 tsp hyssop
½ tsp savory
¼ - ½ tsp saffron
½ tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/3 cup pine nuts

Dredge fowl in flour mixture, then brown the pieces in oil until golden.
Combine milk, honey, herbs, salt and pepper in a bowl. Pour the liquid over
the browned fowl in the saucepan and stir to combine the drippings with the
sauce. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until fowl is tender. Stir in pine
nuts just before serving.