SC - Traps?

Tue Mar 7 21:01:57 PST 2000

A trap or trappe is a baking vessel.  Many of the wood cuts show straight,
high walled dishes similar to a modern casserole dish.

Most medieval ovens were of the heat-mass type, where a fire was built
inside to heat the mass of the oven, then removed and the bake goods placed
inside to be baked by the heat radiating from the oven.  Otherwise, a cloche
or a baking pot (similar to the Dutch oven) would probably have been used
with the coals heaped around it.

Bear