SC - Marzipan

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Wed Mar 8 07:21:08 PST 2000

I have discovered marzipan.  (The making of it, I mean -- I was already
familiar with it as a foodstuff.)  I followed a recipe in de Nola, which
seems to be a pretty standard one.  Equal parts ground almonds and
fine sugar, moistened with rosewater, baked briefly, then glazed with a
rosewater-sugar syrup.

Despite the fact that the marzipan mixture seemed like wet sand when I
scooped it out of the Cuisinart container, once I rolled it out on my
marble, it held together nicely.  I cut out 1/4-inch thick pieces with
cookie cutters and fluted biscuit cutters, and the results were quite
satisfactory.  Baked at 325F (as per the suggestion on Master Huen's
page) for 3-4 minutes, glazed, and returned to the oven for one more.
The original instructions say to bake in a moderate oven (on a preheated
sheet) just until you cannot bear to touch the back of your hand to them.

A few of the pieces browned lightly on the edge or bottom.  Is this
considered undesirable?

Any other suggestions about making or decorating the stuff?  (Yes,
Stephan, I've checked the Floregium files.)  I can already see that I need
to visit a store with a good selection of cookie cutters.

And on a related note, did I see it mentioned earlier than some list folks
are going to E.K. Bardic this Saturday?  I'm planning to be there, and
I'm bringing... stuff.  Look for the auburn-haired woman wandering
around offering food to random strangers.  (This is how I get around
cooking stuff I shouldn't eat more than a snippet of.)

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net