SC - Religious dietary restrictions

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Mar 8 23:31:07 PST 2000

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain said:
> I have to say that our area of northern New Jersey is blessed with many
> ethnic food stores that carry all kinds of interesting goods.  At this
> same Pakistani grocery, I picked up a spare bottle of rosewater, as well
> as some pomegranate molasses (there's a recipe I want to redact Real
> Soon Now -- a sauce of almond milk drawn up with pomegranate juice
> and spices).

"Pomegranate Molasses"? Check the ingredient label. Was this pure
pomegranate juice, perhaps reduced? Or pomegranate juice, perhaps
with molasses or sugar added?

I did find straight pomegranate juice at an Iranian food store this
last fall. If it has sugar added, just be aware of it.

> One of the local supermarkets has started carrying all
> kinds of organ meats, I think in an attempt to compete with the meat
> department of a large Chinese grocery in the same town.  Now, if I could
> only find a local source of real verjuice...

Check some of the sources given in this file in the FOOD section of my
files:
verjuice-msg      (39K) 12/ 9/99    Medieval verjuice. Modern substitutions.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net