SC - Traps?

Thu Mar 9 06:51:09 PST 2000

> Illuminations and pen drawings show round pies (though they seem to be
> quite large!) and the occasional square one. And there's also an ivory
> carving that show a guy with something in his hand that looks for all
> the world like a Hostess Fruit Pie...
>
> 'Lainie

The thing that looks like a Hostess pie is the type of pie one would have
purchased from a fair or street vendor.  I've never seen one in an
illustration of a baker or pie maker, but they were very likely baked by the
commercial bakers and the street bakers.  Large pies were the province of
the large commercial ovens.

Earlier woodcuts seem to show covered dishes similar to a casserole which
could be used for pies with or without crust.  By the time of Scappi's
Opera, the pans appear to be closer to the modern baking dishes, with some
that look like modern tart pans.  Unfortunately, the illustrations I've seen
don't show whether the bottom lifts out.  Brueghel's Peasant Wedding (16th
Century) shows tarts which are very much like modern tarts in size and
shape.

Bear