SC - RE: SC Verjus

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 9 17:48:14 PST 2000

Micaylah writes:
>>>And then of course you can make your own. I buy unripened grapes in
August/Sept. (just before they start to ripen), make it and then
freeze it it icecube trays for the upcoming year. Seems to work so
far.<<<

Gillian Riley (RENAISSANCE RECIPES) in her glossary states that
the English (not big grape growers) used the juice of green plums and
gooseberries instead.  She also states that this is still done in
traditional
Turkish cookery.  Does his Grace, Duke Cariadoc have any data on this
practice?  I had a whole tree of big green plums a couple of years ago and
it seemed to make an adequately sour/tart result.  Of course, I needed a
couple of GALLONS of it as I was using it to baste grilled beef on an open
grille for 350 feasters.

Ms. Riley also lists a recipe for "Chicken with Verjuice "Amorosa"' by
Platina from the household of Poggio Bracciolini of Mantua.  Green plum
verjuice is also called for in her redaction.  Is this documentable
from the original text?  My Latin and Italian is lousy.

Akim Yaroslavich
"No glory comes without pain"

Akim Yaroslavich