SC - Feast Fees in Ansteorra

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Mar 12 04:13:47 PST 2000

Par Leijonhufvud wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
>
> > acted if I didn't have my Really Big Carving Knife held tight against my
> > thigh the whole time...
>
> That's the ones to watch out for. When you hold it like that they can't
> usually reach or control your knife-arm, and if they try to grab some
> other portion of you, they get cut. The "wavers" are easier,
> since the often leave openings.

No doubt. This is a tactic used by most careful restaurant cooks,
though, to get from Point A to Point B, with a crowd in between, with a
reasonable degree of safety and no loss of speed. You basically hold the
knife flat against your thigh, point downwards, elbow slightly out as a
sort of shield, and even if somebody bumps you a bit, it's still
probably less likely to cause injury to bumper or bumpee than walking
along waving The Big Knife and saying, "Hey, watch out, lookit me, I'm
carrying  a Really Big Knife!!!" Mostly people sort of shy away from you
without really knowing why they;re doing it, which is probably a good
thing.

> I presume you stood with the knife-side angled slightly away from them
> as well? Makes life -- however long *that* may last -- hell for the
> other guy...
>
> /UlfR
>  not that I ever had reason to know or test this, of course

What, not even with rattan? I know a pretty villainous trick involving
the Ooold Axe-Behind-The-Calf-Muscle...

But I digress...

Adamantius
- --