SC - importing wine was Re: aqua vitae

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Mar 12 16:57:52 PST 2000

In a message dated 3/12/00 5:30:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mooncat at in-tch.com writes:

<< The reason
 I've heard given, in light of criticisms of same, is that it prevents
alcohol from
 getting into the hands of those for whom it is illegal to possess (i.e.,
minors). >>

Yes, that is the reason PA uses for not allowing it also. But then again,
government bodies, state or national, always use 'child' safety as a reason
for every intrusive law they want to pass. That excuse along with blowing
statistically insignificant incidences out of proportion assures them success
with the sheep that they are herding about.

The REAL reason for not allowing interstate shipping of wine and spirits to
states that forbid it is the monopolies held by wholesale distributors. They
fear their already substantial income would be threatened to the point where
they will no longer be able to dine on caviar but would have to settle for
lobster.

Thankfully, some cooler heads are prevailing and a recent ruling by a state
supreme court in Illinois, Michigan or Ohio (I don't have the article handy)
ruled that the such laws are unconstitutional because they directly interfere
with interstate commerce. Hopefully the state involved will appeal the
decision to the federal level so all of these laws can receive blanket
condemnation.

Ras