SC - Erdtepffel

Valoise Armstrong varmstro at zipcon.net
Sun Mar 12 20:09:38 PST 2000

I know that at one point I said that I couldn't find the potato recipe
that was supposed to be in Marx Rumpolt (German, 1581), but tonight
when I was looking for something else I ran across this on the verso
side of page CXLIII.

37. Erdtepffel. Schel vnd schneidt sie klein/ quell sie in wasser/
vnnd
druck es wol auss durch ein Haerin Tuch/ hack sie klein/ vnd rosst sie
in Speck/
der klein geschnitten ist/ nim{m} ein wenig Milch darunter/ vnd lass
darmit sieden/
so wirt es gut vnd wolgeschmack.

37. Potatoes. Peel and cut them small. Soak then in water
and dry it out well in a hair cloth. Chop then small and roast them in
bacon
that is cut small. Put a little milk into it and let it boil.
So is it good and good tasting.

Sounds kind of like hash browns to me.

Valoise