SC - veggie scotch eggs

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Mar 13 13:24:32 PST 2000

Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:

> I just read a post from a vegetarian food group about this person who made
> scotch eggs using *Morning Star* vegetarian crumbles. Her complaint was that
> it didn't hold together.  I suggested she try either beaten egg or egg white
> to hold the crumble around the eggs.  Any other suggestions?

Give it up. It's like Tofurky- the end product is so far from the
original that it's pointless. The sausage holds together becasue or the
collagen, etc., in the meat (IIRC) and you won't find collagen in
vegetable products. I don't think that eggs are that good of a binder to
hold together something like a scotch egg. Is there a reason she's
attempting that particular recipe? Or is there something else that would
satisfy that doesn't involved making a meat-effect of a non-meat
product?

BTW- I've tasted Tofurky. It's not bad, so long as you aren't tryign to
pretend that it tastes like turkey, because it doesn't.

'Lainie