SC - what to do with extra egg yolks?

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue Mar 14 14:35:53 PST 2000

> FIRST COURSE: Torta sambucea (Elderflower Cheese Pie),
> Esicium ex Carne (Meatballs from Chicken with cheese
> and spices), Esicium Romanum (Roman Noodles), Boletis
> et Fungis (Mushrooms and Fungi).

	Note: I don't know if this fits in with Platina or your overall humoral
scheme, but have you considered endoring your meatballs?  A coating of
egg yolks on the meat would be a festive addition color-wise.  Perhaps if
you have a large cut of meat or a sublty plan that could use the endoring
- - like a gingerbread or decorative bread?
	Platina's Golden Balls would be better than Pan Perdue, both of which
are French Toast variations (some may ask how I know that ;).  Here is
the Golden Balls recipe, which might make a nice addition to one of your
breakfasts at the event.

Golden Balls
Rendering by Christianna MacGrain.

"on Right Pleasure and Good Health" by Platina (1475)
8.63  Golden Balls

Toast chunks of bread crust a little on both sides.  When they are
toasted, soften with rose water in which there are both beaten eggs and
ground sugar. When they are taken out, fry in a pan with butter or fat,
far apart so that they do not touch each other.  When they are fried and
transferred into a serving dish, sprinkle with sugar and rosewater
colored with saffron.  This pleases M. Antonius, not undeservedly, for it
fattens the body, helps liver and kidneys, and stimulates passion.

Rendered Recipe

Golden Balls

6 white rolls, torn into chunks, toasted
2 oz. rosewater
4 eggs, beaten
sugar
butter
rosewater with saffron steeped in it

Add rosewater to the beaten eggs to obtain the consistancy of about half
the thickness of the beaten eggs alone.  Add sugar.  Toss the bread
chunks in the egg/rosewater mixture to moisten but not saturate.  Fry in
a pan with butter, making sure they stay separate in the cooking process.
 Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with sugar and saffron colored
rosewater.  Stand back and watch out for amorous diners.

Note:  There are numerous recipes for pan perdu and other 'lost bread'
variations that call for egg yolks only.  You could either use the yolks
alone, or add a few whole eggs to the mix to lighten it if you wish.
However, the rosewater and saffron make this a very fragrant, lovely
dish, and also lighten it because of the weight of the rosewater.  I
think the egg yolks alone would be fine.

	Christianna
	who would personally sneak off and make a big batch of hollandaise,
	with some nice asparagus to hold it up