SC - what to do with extra egg yolks

David, Tracy tdavid at Exchange.FULLERTON.EDU
Tue Mar 14 16:59:05 PST 2000

If you have a mind to take the time to find one, restaurant supply
companyies DO carry egg whites that have already been separated.  They
usually come in large 2 to 5 gallon containers so you would only want to use
them for quantities as large as this.  This way you won't have all the extra
egg yolks.  If you've already separated them.....egg yolks when cooked with
the broth or stock (whisking or stirring vigoursly all the while) make a
GREAT thickener for stews......mostly I'm picturing some kind of a starchy
stew....parsnips or turnip vegetable stew.  When used as a thickener to
unsweetened crab apple juice or white wine bases in soups, it adds a
wonderful creamy texture that offsets the tartness.

Ifanwy Custables

- -----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Phelps [mailto:phelpsd at gate.net]
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2000 4:21 PM
To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
Subject: Re: SC - what to do with extra egg yolks

>Now, by definition, 152+ egg whites are usually attached
>to at least 152+ egg yolks (sometimes more, depending
>on the vagaries of chicken genetics and the like, but
>we don't really need to argue that right now). So my
>question is this...
>
>What the heck do I do with all the extra egg yolks?
>
>I'm working almost exclusively from Platina.

I don't have a copy of Plantina yet but have you considered some sort of
posset type drink?  The one I have made is a sack posset out of Martha
Washington's Book of Cookery.  It used 14 egg yolks and seven egg whites, a
cup of sherry, sugar (sorry don't remember how much and I've mislaid the
book) a pint of heavy cream and half a nutmeg.  It's sort of a cooked egg
nog.  Great stuff served either blood warm (that's how it's described in the
recipe) or chilled.  Come to think of it isn't Zabaglione very much an
period Italian cousin of this but without the egg whites?    Alternatively
how about some sort of egg custard?  Does Plantina have anything like either
of these?

Epulario has a recipe "To make a kind of Leach" with 4 egg yolks, a 1/2 oz.
of Cinamon, 4 oz. sugar 2 oz Rosewater, 4 oz of orange juice beaten
togeather, and "boiled" presumedly cooked on the top of a stove like a
custard.  Epulario has a more complex recipe using egg yolks titled "To make
twelve messes of pottage of elder flowers"

Hope this helps.

Daniel Raoul