SC - Sotelties (also ducks and walnuts)

Lady Gwynydd of Culloden Gwynydd_of_Culloden at freemail.com.au
Tue Mar 14 18:01:31 PST 2000

- ------------APFM23971660

I am not the most artistic soul around and thus am always impressed by those who are - but the descriptions rendered on this list of these subtelties are frankly astounding!  How I wish that I had seen them.  For myself, I have only tried a very few subtelties - and never anything nearly this elaborate.  I did do a Turkish delight mouse (complete with lovely curling icing tail) on a red sugar shield for Princess Mouse when she visited Ynys Fawr, but for anything even a little more complex I need someone else to do the work!

On the subject of the ducks - actually, the cats and the ducks seem to have developed a healthy disregard for each other!  We got them as ducklings from the Agricultural Show and kept them in a discarded rabbit hutch (keeping rabbits has been a dreadful failure at this place - it started on our daughter's 7th birthday and ended a few years ago when the final one was attacked by dogs - who got into a sealed hutch to kill the poor animal!  We gave up after that).  Once they were too big to fit in the hutch we let them out and by then they were too big for the cats to want anything to do with them!

I am convinced that ducks make some of the best (and least energy intensive) pets possible.  They require little extra food other than kitchen scraps (although they love discarded popped corn!) , kill snails and other unwanted creatures, provide eggs (occasionally), and don't seem to stray.  We don't have a gate locking them into our property - but I have never seen them leave the grounds.  They are as free-range as ducks can be!  Oh, and you don't _need_ a pond for them, just regular changes of water in a bucket or basin (they will get it filthy)- but they do love a swim in the old bathtub we have out the back.

No, I have no specific recipes for duck eggs (and anyway, apart from keeping the insects at bay - particularly cockroaches about which I am embarrassingly phobic, they have thus far refused to earn their keep!  Well, killing cockroaches is payment enough in my eyes!).  Any recipes specifically designed for duck eggs (period or otherwise) will be greatfully received.  I have had ducks before and have to say that, IMHO, duck eggs are far superior in taste to hen's eggs.

Oh, if anyone has advice about the storage and use of walnuts (period recipes greatfully received), I would love to hear about it.  We also have a walnut tree which towers over our single story house and must be easily 70 years old.  It also bears the sweetest nuts you can imagine - I actually don't like walnuts, but even I eat these.

Take care all

Gwynydd of Culloden
Ynys Fawr, Lochac, the Kingdom of the West (I am fairly sure!  It would be embarrassing to have got it wrong!)

At 2000-03-15 04:48:09.187001,
"Bethany Public Library" (betpulib at ptdprolog.net) wrote:
> Allison penned:
> L. Rowan Ashbrooke also makes gorgeous subtelties, and donates
> them to
> High Table.  No unauthorized money is spent, special goodies are
> available, and all is both legal and more authentic.

> SCA-Cooks".

> =========

 Send Amazing Cards FREE by e-mail with
 FREE e-Gift and FREE decoration:
 www.mini-card.com/index.asp?referer=fm1
 Get your own free email account at
 http://www.freemail.com.au/ now part of the
 Webuser.com.au independent portal. Visit at…
 http://www.webuser.com.au
- ------------APFM23971660--